Snuggling Prognosticator

So many things in life require complex decision-making skills. Too often, we take for granted our ability to handle these kinds of things. You know me: I prefer to just keep things simple when I can. For example, deciding whether to get a haircut is pretty straightforward. Unfortunately, sometimes we find ourselves needing to make decisions which involve our relationships with others, and these can quickly become needlessly complex. In such circumstances, I have often found it useful to map out my own thoughts and preferences. Putting them on display for the other parties involved eliminates ambiguity, confusion, and miscommunication. If there’s a chart, you can just refer everyone to it and they know precisely where you stand. (I also encourage the use of a telescoping or laser pointer to focus your audience’s attention during the explanation phase.)

So with that in mind, I present to you the Snuggling Prognosticator. I’d like to apologize in advance if it spills uglily out of its frame in your browser. I think you’ll agree that its usefulness and significance trump any aesthetic inconveniences this may cause.

Feel free to adapt it to suit your own needs. Also, don’t be selfish: If you find it helpful, please make others aware of its existence here. Thanks!

Snuggling Prognosticator

As you well know, of course I strive for accuracy and completeness here at Please share your thoughts with the rest of us in the Comments below. What did I miss? What’s YOUR process for working out complicated decisions?

8 Responses to “Snuggling Prognosticator”

1. Mark morris September 22, 2010 at 10:42 am #

I notice that you indicate that the individual using your flow chart might not be okay with snuggling “leading to other things”, I was wondering when you will be coming out with a version that pertains to men, married to attractive women, whom we love?

• Brannon September 22, 2010 at 7:06 pm #

Actually, what I was going for was intentionally gender-neutral. In the case you present, of course one would simply follow the “YES” track.

2. Stacey September 22, 2010 at 2:57 pm #

I often do this without the arrows and lines because when I do I get lost in “does this chart look pleasing, what about this font and color” and then forget the reason for the chart… like now with this comment….

Does the genius just come to you or do you have to coax it out with books and quizzes? Your written thoughts conjure inspiration and blankness all at once. Wondrous.

• Brannon September 22, 2010 at 7:10 pm #

When making a flowchart, the secret to completion is to steal from an existing flowchart and simply copy and paste the boxes, lines, etc. and try to simply change the text.

The super-secret answer to your question is “Peyote.” And thanks!

3. Mary September 23, 2010 at 1:53 pm #

my husband said he doesn’t “get it”.

• Brannon September 23, 2010 at 2:21 pm #

I can respect that. Although I’ve never gotten to meet him, I still choose to love him. Because it seems clear he’s good to you and MK. (Plus, because of him, you live in Hawaii.) :)

4. Mary September 23, 2010 at 3:39 pm #

actually, I think he was being sarcastic….

• Brannon September 24, 2010 at 10:14 am #

Then I like him even more. :)